News24.com | Man arrested in possession of gun allegedly used in Charl Kinnear murder

Anti-Gang Unit detective Charl Kinnear

Anti-Gang Unit detective Charl Kinnear

  • Western Cape police arrested a man who was in possession of the gun that was believed to have been used to kill detective Charl Kinnear last year.
  • The man had been hiding in a flat in Elsie’s River, a suburb close to where Kinnear was killed.   
  • It is alleged that he tried to throw away the gun while fleeing.  

A man who was arrested in possession of a gun, which was believed to have been used to murder Anti-Gang Unit detective Charl Kinnear in Cape Town, has appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate’s Court.

The man had been hiding in a flat in Elsie’s River – a suburb situated close to Kinnear’s Bishop Lavis home, where he was killed in September last year.

Police have not confirmed that it was the weapon used in the Kinnear murder. But it is understood that it could be the one police were looking for as part of the murder investigation.

Police spokesperson Colonel Katlego Mogale said the man appeared in court on Monday for possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition, following an operation in the Nyanga cluster.

The case was postponed to 29 March and the accused, Ashley Williams, also known as “Nokkels”, is in custody.

Police suspect that the 39-year-old is associated with a gang.

“The recovered firearm and ammunition has been sent for ballistics [tests] to ascertain crimes [that were] committed [with] it,” Mogale added.

During Friday night’s arrest, the man allegedly threw the gun onto a roof as he tried to flee from police, it emerged in information contained in a crime report which was submitted to Western Cape police bosses.

The operation involved the organised crime national task team, special task force members, the Hawks and the Anti-Gang Unit.  

A 9mm pistol with 15 rounds of ammunition in the magazine, and a small bag of tik was recovered during the operation.

The man’s arrest was part of a wider swoop on firearms in Cape Town. 

Western Cape acting provincial commissioner Major General Thembisile Patekile said in a statement on Friday evening that police were tracing a suspect in Avonwood, Elsies River.

“Upon their arrival at the address, they saw a suspect with a firearm in his hand. He fled in an effort to evade arrest, but police caught up with him.

Rugby player-turned-private investigator, Zane Kilian, is in custody in connection with Kinnear’s murder.

It’s alleged that he tracked Kinnear via his cellphone for months. Judgment in his bail application is expected on 18 March.

He has been in custody for almost six months and his lawyer has questioned why a person, who has a completely different build to him and who was captured on CCTV footage near Kinnear’s house on the day of the murder, has not been arrested yet.

On Friday, a man also appeared in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court for allegedly calling an investigator in the Kinnear murder case to tell him there was a R1 million hit out on him. 

Petrus Hermanus Visser was released on R2 000 bail in that matter.

READ | Witness told police repeatedly Kinnear was being tracked, court hears in Kilian bail application

Do you want to know more about this topic? Sign up for one of News24’s 33 newsletters to receive the information you want in your inbox. Special newsletters are available to subscribers.

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button