Photo: Clive Mason/Getty Images
Buckingham Palace said Wednesday it is “very concerned” and will investigate newspaper reports that Meghan Markle faces a bullying complaint from her time living at Kensington Palace.
“We are clearly very concerned about allegations in The Times following claims made by former staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex… our HR team will look into the circumstances,” the palace said in a statement.
The Times newspaper made the claims against Meghan which are alleged to date back to October 2018.
“Members of staff involved at the time, including those who have left the Household, will be invited to participate to see if lessons can be learned,” said the palace.
“The Royal Household… does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.”
Markle earlier said she was “saddened” by the report saying she faced a complaint while living at Kensington Palace before she stepped back from royal duties, her spokesman said.
The report came just days before the broadcast of an interview that Harry and the Duchess of Sussex, as she is formally known, gave to US chat show host Oprah Winfrey about their decision last year to leave frontline royal duties.
“The duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself,” her spokesman said.
“She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right.”
The couple said The Times was being used to “peddle a wholly false narrative” before the television interview.
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can
trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to
a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism,
top opinions and a range of features. Journalism
strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.