AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon has expressed unwavering confidence in the league’s integrity unit following explosive claims made in the Victorian Supreme Court by Cate Sayers, the wife of former Carlton president Luke Sayers. The controversy stems from a scandal last year involving a lewd photo posted on Sayers’ social media account.
The AFL’s investigation, which concluded that Sayers did not breach league rules and that his account had been compromised, has come under scrutiny after Cate Sayers’ recent allegations. Despite the investigation’s findings, the identity of the person responsible for posting the image remains unknown.
Background of the Scandal
The incident, which took place on January 8, led to an inquiry by the AFL’s integrity unit, headed by former detective Tony Keane. The investigation determined that the photo was posted “by a person not being Mr Sayers.” However, questions have been raised regarding the thoroughness of the probe, especially after Cate Sayers’ court filings alleged that her husband implied she was responsible for the post.
Andrew Dillon, speaking at a recent event marking the AFL’s contract extension with Virgin Australia, reiterated his trust in the integrity unit’s capabilities. “The integrity department of the AFL is super well-resourced and led by a very experienced administrator in Tony Keane. I have got absolute faith in the work they do,” Dillon stated.
Legal and Personal Implications
The Sayers are currently undergoing a divorce, and Cate Sayers’ statement of claim could soon become public. When asked about the AFL’s potential involvement in the court case, Dillon responded, “I am not across the details of that case, but we will do what we need to do.”
Despite the lack of an official complainant, Dillon defended the league’s decision to investigate the matter. “It was a matter the AFL looked at and investigated. It’s well in the past,” he said, emphasizing the issue’s resolution.
“As I said, we have an experienced, well-resourced investigative and integrity department, and they do a good job, and they will continue to do that,” Dillon added.
Family and Public Reactions
The allegations have prompted public statements from the Sayers’ daughters, Bronte and Claudia, who have defended their father. Meanwhile, Luke Sayers has denied his wife’s claims, which were reportedly made in a statutory declaration to the AFL’s integrity unit.
This masthead clarifies that it does not imply Luke Sayers has blamed Cate Sayers or that she was responsible for the social media post, only that such allegations have been made.
Internal AFL Dynamics
The Sayers scandal is not the only challenge Dillon faces. The AFL has experienced internal upheavals, particularly in 2025, when the league faced criticism for its management of football-related matters. This led to significant changes, including the demotion of Laura Kane and the hiring of veteran administrator Greg Swann.
Further internal tensions arose with the departure of Jude Donnelly, the government relations boss and a key supporter of Dillon. However, Dillon insists these issues have been resolved, expressing optimism for the future.
“Look, we have got a super-experienced executive team and I am just really confident, super excited for the year ahead. Greg Swann and Laura leading the footy, Tom Harley coming in as chief operating officer. Again, a really experienced executive team. I am excited for the year ahead,” Dillon said.
Despite rumors of Dillon’s intervention to clarify executive roles, he remained tight-lipped, stating, “I am not going to go into coming and going and work issues, but Greg and Laura are super-experienced administrators, and they are both doing an incredible job. As I said, I can’t wait for the season to start.”
As the AFL prepares for the upcoming season, the league’s leadership is under scrutiny to ensure stability and effective management, especially in light of the recent controversies and administrative changes.